Since 2010, we’ve helped over 300 purpose-driven organizations leverage the internet for good. Whether we’re helping you create and launch an innovative app or website, build a digitally-focused brand, develop and execute a broad digital marketing strategy, or explore the technological frontiers of artificial intelligence and beyond, we work closely with our clients and become a core part of their team. We believe technology can be a force for good, rather than a source of darkness, noise, and distraction. Our goal is to help you create digital environments for your audiences that feel more human, not less human.
Just as a whiteboard serves as a fantastic tool, our hope is to serve as our clients’ greatest advocate; empowering their organization to lead well in our world. At its core, an “agency” is an entity that “produces or is capable of producing an effect”. Whether we’re helping you get your product in the hands of more customers, find and engage new audiences, or think with greater imagination, we’re in it with you. When we join forces with you, that means we’re joining forces with your mission.
Whiteboard is looking for a Wordpress and Product Engineer to join our team. You will work closely with Project Leaders, Designers, Strategists, and others to plan and create web platforms that serve our clients and advance our mission. From robust content platforms, to e-commerce experiences, online learning systems, and more, you will architect, build, and support platforms of all shapes and sizes. This position will primarily live inside of Wordpress, however, Whiteboard thrives on finding the right tool for the job. That means there will be opportunities to grow into other technologies for creating innovative and robust products using Statamic, Node.js, GoLang, Ruby, React, Vue, and more! The Wordpress and Product Engineer will report directly to the Director of Platforms.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Have provable experience building web applications and web sites.
- Desire to be a true polyglot - comfortable in multiple languages.
- Have a strong respect and implementation knowledge for test-driven development, code reviews, and well-established OO principles.
- Have experience dealing with non-technical coworkers or collaborators to translate business needs into technical implementation.
- Have a strong ability to be decisive in the face of uncertainty.
- Push best practices and set an example by following those practices.
- Work well on a multi-functional team including a designer, product owner, etc.
- Know what level of optimization is appropriate for a given issue.
- Be able to help guide other developers and non-developers in resolving technical issues.
- Be able to wear multiple hats and work anywhere in a stack.
- Be excited about building greenfield.
- Have a passion for both short-term productivity and long-term sustainability.
- Have a strong ability to predict complexity, technical debt, and effort-benefit analysis for a given technical implementation.
- Proficiency with WordPress. Ideally, you'll have familiarity with Twig and Advanced Custom Fields.
- Strong experience with modern front-end tooling. Ideally, Tailwind, SCSS, Webpack, npm/node, ES6, and React are a part of your front-end development toolkit.
- Strong handle on design, spacing, structure, branding, typography, and intuition for visual decision-making.
- Basic DevOps skills: Can you log in to a server via SSH, change configs, pull the latest code into that server, restart nginx or apache, change DNS settings, and get a site live?
- Communication skills: Can you describe a technical subject to a non-technical client, leaving out the unimportant parts and emphasizing the important ones.
- Must be able to adopt and adapt to new toolsets as required by the ever-changing tech atmosphere.
- Must be able to drive internal processes and tooling to stay ahead of the curve.
We take responsibility for the well-being of our customers and the success of their missions. We value self-regulation and productivity; understanding that there are victories and consequences reliant on our behavior and work ethic. We uphold a high degree of accountability.
We understand that we are a small piece of a puzzle that is much larger than ourselves. We seek to understand and in turn invest our gifts and skills towards greater callings. We desire to share our time, resources, and talents to pursue acts of righteousness and justice.
We share a deep sense of conviction in the efforts and pursuit of redemptive work. We inherently value leaders that believe in mending the broken pieces of our world, and we, without grievance, are committed to seeing restoration come.
- Health Insurance: Whiteboard will cover 50% of your health insurance cost through our company-sponsored plan, which is currently provided by United Healthcare (more detail available upon request).
- Dental Insurance: Whiteboard will cover 50% of your individual dental insurance, which is currently provided by Delta Dental.
- Vision Insurance: Whiteboard will cover 100% of your individual vision insurance, provided by United Healthcare (more detail available upon request).
- Basic Life Insurance and Short Term Disability: Whiteboard offers and covers 100% of Basic Life Insurance and Short Term Disability.
- Additional Insurance Options: Whiteboard offers additional voluntary insurance including Long Term Disability, Additional Life Insurance, and Accident Coverage. Whiteboard will not contribute to these, but all eligible employees will be able to participate if desired.
- Wellview: Wellview brings you on-demand access to the health services you need—all at no cost to you. We believe that engaging with your well-being resources should be a personalized and enjoyable experience. This benefit is included if you enrolled in our company health insurance.
- We offer a 401(k) retirement plan and match your contributions up to 5%
- Paid time off and standard company holidays
- Funded opportunities for learning and continued education
- A flexible work culture intended to let teams optimize and thrive
- 100% Company matched charitable giving through Charityvest.